Propane industry mourns loss of longtime safety leader

January 23, 2015 By    

mahreWilliam “Bill” Mahre, owner of Propane Technical Services and a longtime safety advocate in the propane industry, died Jan. 18 following complications from heart and kidney disease. The Minnesota native was 80.

The Minnesota Propane Association (MPA) announced Mahre’s passing to its members early in the week, stating, “The family knew how important his many industry relationships were to him over 60-plus years and wanted everyone to know this news as soon as possible.”

With Propane Technical Services, Mahre investigated propane accidents, served as an expert witness in legal cases, provided consulting services on propane equipment installations and instructed industry employees on various issues.

Mahre served in many capacities of the propane industry during a 65-year career, which started at St. Paul Bottle Gas Co. (Home Gas). He also volunteered his time and expertise to the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA)National Fire Protection Association and MPA.

Mahre won several presidents recognition and distinguished service awards during his career, as well as the MPA’s G.F. Bursinger Award. The MPA also created the Bill Mahre Distinguished Service Award.

LP Gas safety columnist Jay Johnston wrote a tribute to Mahre in the December issue. Read it here.

1 Comment on "Propane industry mourns loss of longtime safety le …"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Gregg Placas says:

    I met Bill while on the NPGA Safety Committee. Bill’s commitment to safety was first and foremost in all of his activities. He was a pleasure to work with and learn from. We’ve all lost a great friend.

Privacy Preference Center

Close your account?

Your account will be closed and all data will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Are you sure?